Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral New Orleans Greek Orthodox Cathedral New Orleans Greek Orthodox Church Greek Orthodox Church, New Olreans, LA Greek Orthodox Services, New Orleans Greek Orthodox Liturgy Greek Orthodox Church Schedule

Keepers of the Faith

An Exhibition From the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral Historical Archives Hellenic Center Fellowship Hall

The Keepers of the Faith Exhibition celebrated on March 10, 2012 was a milestone for the Holy Trinity Cathedral family. Organized and presented by the Ladies Philoptochos Society and the Archives Committee, approximately 200 artifacts were displayed tracing our history from 1865 to 1915. The exhibition fulfilled our mission to:

(1) respect the sacred expressions of our Orthodox faith
(2) honor the Orthodox pioneers to America
(3) preserve the manifestations of our faith and
(4) enlighten the greater community on the Greek Orthodox presence in America from the 1800s.

We gratefully acknowledge our gratitude for making this event possible to all our sponsors:

Maria Anastasiou, Evangelia Bilalis, Cannata's Market, Morgan City, Olga Christakis, Danae Columbus, Debbie Funti, Gulf Marine & Industrial Supplies, Kaare Johnson, Richard Maag, Laila Marcos, Maria Mellis, Popi Michaelakis, Martin Wine Cellar, Dr. and Mrs. Nick Moustoukas, Rouses Supermarkets, John Vassilopoulos (Iatrodesign, LLC), Dina Vatranis, Cathy Vial, Stephanie Vial, Winn Dixie, Ginny Zissis, Zuppardo's Economical Super Market.

Display cases and panels were loaned at no cost by The Historic New Orleans Collection. Thank you to all for your support.

Click on the images below for a sample of maps and articles displayed at the exhibition.


Exhibit 1: The Beginning

Greek_Islands_Map
Origins of the first
Greeks in New Orleans
world-map
Origins of Eastern Orthodox
pioneers in New Orleans

world-map
Father Agapius Hocharenko
1770_Census_Map
Earliest found record of
a Greek immigrant to New Orleans
     
     

Exhibit 2: The 1800's

March-10,-2012-exhibit-017
Assorted liturgical artifacts;
Priest’s hats with hat box;
processional fans on both sides of
the glass case. circa 1880—1930
March-10,-2012-exhibit-003
First iconostasion as described in 1885 travelogue. The icons are dated 1872

March-10,-2012-exhibit-009
Jesus Christ Tempted.
The crucifixion story displayed in 12 oil paintings on the Kouvouklion

     
 
March-10,-2012-exhibit-009
The Holy Kouvouklion; circa late 1800s
 
     
March-10,-2012-exhibit-009
1872 icon of the Panagia draped in the fashion of some areas in Greece in the 1800s
March-10,-2012-exhibit-020LR
Photo of the “Little Church”
circa mid to late 1800s;
Cyrillic Prayer Book 1865;
Sacramental Journal 1881


March-10,-2012-exhibit-017
Processional cross; 1863 lithograph of King George I of Greece signed by Holy Trinity founder, Botassi; assorted icons

Exhibit 3: The 1900's

73-St-John-Crucifixion-tableau
Saint John from a Crucifixion tableau;
circa 1932
72-Panagia-silhouette
Panagia, Mother of Jesus from
a Crucifixion tableau; circa 1932
501-Jesus-the-Good-Shepherd
Jesus Christ The Good Shepherd from
the second iconostasion; circa 1932
March-10,-2012-exhibit-004
Collection of icons


March-10,-2012-exhibit-014LR
Images of the “Little Church”
circa 1910—1917
and an Epitafion circa early 1900s
March-10,-2012-exhibit-003
The Holy Trinity Icon; circa 1900s
Unknown-priest-w-youth-group-original
Sunday School Youth;
circa 1930
EPITAFION-ORIGINAL-UNKNOWN-IRENE-LIGNOS-DONATED
Unknown persons with epitafion;
circa 1915
EPITAFION-ORIGINAL-UNKNOWN-IRENE-LIGNOS-DONATED
“Little church” Iconostasion circa 1915